Will My Child Succeed in Life?

By Leslie Josel

AT A GLANCE

Its not unusual for parents of young kids with learning challenges to feel overwhelmed by the daily difficulties and hopeless about their childs future Take heart from this parents journey

As the founder and principal of www.orderoochaos.com, a business devoted to helping families of kids with learning challenges, I receive a lot of questions, many of which hit homebut none more than this one:

Im so worried about just getting my son, age 11, to the next task or the next day that I cant even imagine what the future will look like for him. How did you know that your child would be fine, able to attend college, and make it through and succeed in life? My brain just wont allow me to get there. I need some hope and inspiration! Im desperate.

For those who have found inspiration in my story, its important to understand that it wasnt always so inspiring.

I was so wracked with guilt and shame during my sons early childhood that I never allowed myself to see his future. Who would he be? What would his life look like? All through my sons early years, it was all I could do to make it to the next minute, hour, or day; projecting to the next 10 years was a luxury I didnt afford myself.

I lived according to very small goals then. Tiny. Lets see if E can get dressed for school this morning without an argument.” “What are the odds that E will actually go to fencing this week?” “How many minutes of peace will I have before E starts yelling at me that he doesnt want to do?And on it went. Sound familiar? Now not every day was like that. But many were and many were rough. Very rough.

Fast Forward

Now that my son is in his early 20s, I ask myself how did we get here? It feels like I turned my back for one minute and when I turned back around, staring down at me was this tall, handsome, sensitive, quirky, talented, calm, love of a son. The son who would scream for hours now uses that voice to compose music and sing in his off time.The son who never looked where he was going is now a cautious and responsible driver. And the child who was told by his elementary school in 3rd grade that they couldnt educate him has graduated from college, moved across the country, and is working in the field of his dreams.

Truth be told, even during all the tough times, we always saw glimmers of the young man he might become. My husband often said, If we can just freeze-dry him and wake him up when hes 18, things will be different.While I may have thought that was wishful thinking, deep down I was hoping he was right.

But beyond the hope, there was something happening that I was most certain about. My son worked hard to get here. Heck, my whole family did.

And heres the inspiring part: We didnt do it alone. There were teachers, guidance counselors, professors, therapists, camp directors, friends, theater coaches, one tough fencing instructor, one even tougher driving instructor, and countless other mentors along the way. We called it Team E. People who believed in my son, his strengths, his gifts, and most importantly, his purpose.

And that team of believers allowed our son to believe in himself. Inspiring for sure!

This article was originally published by ADDitude Magazine. Leslie Josel is the Principal of www.orderoochaos.com, an organizing consulting firm specializing in student organizing. She is the author of several books including the recently published How to Do It Now Because Its Not Going Away. To learn more, visit www.orderoochaos.com

Related Smart Kids Topics