June 17, 2019
By Leslie Josel
The end of a school year is a natural time to get organized. If you’re that person, who constantly talks about it, but can’t bring yourself to get started, I’ve pulled together my favorite apps and websites to help you with everything from emptying your inbox, to preserving your kids’ art projects. With something here for everyone in the family, there’s no reason to put it off any longer.
- Dropbox: Keep all your files, photos, docs, and videos in one place using Dropbox. Share large files with anyone — including those without an account — from any of your devices. Definitely one of our favorite organizing apps!
- Todoist: Simple yet powerful, Todoist is ideal for those quick reminders about groceries, as well as more extensive tasks. A labeling and filtering system means you can use it to juggle work commitments alongside personal tasks. An overview of the day and the week ahead makes it easy to prioritize what needs to be done and when. You can also share lists with others using this app.
- Genius Scan: Genius Scan is basically a smart scanner in your pocket, allowing you to quickly scan your documents on the go and export them as JPEG or multi-page PDF files. This is a perfect way to empty out that overstuffed file cabinet!
- What’s worse than a cluttered inbox? Sifting through it. Unroll.me makes it super easy to unsubscribe to all the junk in your inbox (with one click!) and simultaneously streamline everything you want to keep. You can receive all your subscriptions in one daily email, making your morning a little more enjoyable.
- Picniic: This app simplifies family life so you can spend more time doing what you love, and less time organizing it. All family members (mom, dad, kids, caregivers, etc.) can easily access Picniic via iPhone, iPad, and the web to keep everyone organized, with features such as family locator, shared family calendar, shopping lists, grocery lists, recipe tips, meal planners, information lockers, and more.
- Cozi: Cozi is one of the family organizing apps that is free, easy to use, and a 3-time Mom’s Choice Award Winner. With Cozi, you can:
- Keep everyone’s activities and appointments, all in one place
- Create and share shopping lists, chores, and more in real time
- Store recipes and quickly add ingredients to your grocery list
- Access and update from any mobile device or computer
Clean Up, Clear Out
- Stuffstr: Don’t trash your stuff – recirculate it with Stuffstr! This app makes it easy to lighten your load and keep things out of the landfill. With Stuffstr, you can resell stuff, offer it to friends, or have it delivered to Goodwill for free—all at the tap of a button.
- Letgo: Letgois the fastest growing mobile marketplace to buy and sell locally. Quickly sell things you list on Letgo and find great deals nearby. Electronics, games, clothes, cars, furniture, décor and much more.
- Bookscouter: On this homepage, search for a textbook or class-required reading, compare pricing, and sell it for the most money – it’s that simple. When you search by entering your ISBN onto the website’s homepage, you’ll see many different offers from various vendors, so you can really find the best price for your textbook. Before you pick a vendor, make sure to read reviews by other users.
- Decluttr is unique because you can only sell items with a barcode such as CDs, DVDs, books, games, and tech. You enter an item’s barcode and/or number for a “tech” item, and the app will immediately provide an offer. Like the offer? Pack your items in a box, ship it to Decluttr for free, and get paid via check, PayPal, direct deposit. Additionally, you have the option to donate your “order value” to a charity.
Keep Your Keepsakes
- ArtKive: Never again feel guilty about throwing away artwork your kids bring home. Turn your Artkive into a high quality, hardcover book or other great products (like phone cases, blankets, coasters, pillows and more) with little more than the touch of a button!
- Keepy: This app allows you to organize, save, privately share, enrich, and treasure your kids’ memories as they grow. Whether it’s artwork, schoolwork, awards, or photos, with Keepy you can look back on these special moments for years to come.
Preserve Your Memories
- FotoBridge is actually a website and not an app, but we had to include it. It is the easiest and most convenient way to scan photos and digitally convert large collections of slides, 35mm negatives, Polaroids, and home movies to high-quality DVDs.
- Campusquilt: Many people have a pile of treasured old t-shirts you just can’t bear to throw Campus Quilt is dedicated to turning your old clothes into lasting memories in the form of fun and functional t-shirt quilts. They make quilts from lap size to king size, and you can view all of the options at their site.
Leslie Josel is the Principal of Order out of Chaos, an organizing consulting firm specializing in student organizing. She is the author of What’s the Deal with Teens and Time Management and the creator of the award-winning Academic Planner: A Tool for Time Management. To learn more, visit www.orderoochaos.com.